Neil Diamond Video: 'The Chanukah Song'
One of the strangest, most wonderful covers of the holiday music season has been Neil Diamond's earnest take on Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song" from his latest offering, "A Cherry Cherry Christmas." One can imagine Diamond in his black, rhinestone-studded suit in that classic Neil Diamond pose, singing intensely into his microphone like he's trying to melt it, one hand balled into a fist behind him.
Now, thanks to The New York Times Arts Beat and Diamond's own website, you don't have to imagine it; You can sing along with an animated video for the song, a "South Park"-like rendering with a guest appearance from Guns N' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba, who plays his blazing solo whilst flying through the air.
The video features Santa Claus on drums, and, of course, everyone from Harrison Ford to the Three Stooges (all Jewish), who are all name-dropped in the song. But no O. J. Simpson -- after all, as Sandler pointed out in the original, he's not a Jew.
What's most surprising about this whole thing is how appropriate and natural it seems. Neil Diamond covering Adam Sandler and making a Christmas tree look like a joint in a video where Bowser and the Fonz share a sandwich? Sure. Why not?
- How to Throw an Easter Brunch Buffet - Holidays Central
- Easter Centerpiece Ideas - Holidays Central
- Spring Clean Like a Pro - Reader's Digest
- Easter Egg Decorating Ideas - Celebrations
- Unique Twists on Spring Cocktails - Celebrations
- Easter Bunny Cake - KitchenDaily
- How to Play: Easter Egg Race - ParentDish
- Early Spring Flowers: What's Blooming? - Shelterpop