Instead of giving mom a New York Times bestseller, thrift a hardcover novel and transform it into a secret hiding place for trinkets and jewelry. Our crafts expert Kendra Smoot shows you how in the step-by-step video below.
an old hardcover book
X-acto knife and extra blades
To make the book keepsake holder in our video:
1. Choose a page in the book where you'd like to begin cutting. Use a ruler to measure a 1" border from the edge of the book's pages. Use an X-acto knife to cut out pages.
2. Continue cutting out pages to create a hollow hole. After the first few pages are cut you no longer need the ruler, just use the top cut pages as a guide. Be sure to replace X-acto blades often. This will take about an hour.
3. Measure and cut out a piece of patterned paper to cover the inside of the back cover.
4. Mix up a solution of half water half glue and brush on the patterned paper. Glue to the back cover.
5. Glue the last page to the inside of the back cover.
6. Turn the book over and open to the hole. Generously brush the water/glue mixture on the inside of the cut pages.
7. Cover the top page with wax paper, wax side down to protect from sticking together. Place a heavy object on top of book and let dry overnight.
Check out more great Mother's Day ideas here.
Mother's Day Crafts With Kendra: A Book Keepsake Holder
- How to Throw an Easter Brunch Buffet - Holidays Central
- Easter Centerpiece Ideas - Holidays Central
- Spring Clean Like a Pro - Reader's Digest
- Easter Egg Decorating Ideas - Celebrations
- Unique Twists on Spring Cocktails - Celebrations
- Easter Bunny Cake - KitchenDaily
- How to Play: Easter Egg Race - ParentDish
- Early Spring Flowers: What's Blooming? - Shelterpop